Sunday, January 14, 2007

GET A (WIDE) LEG UP ON THE NEW JEAN

If there is one piece of clothing that everyone can agree on, its denim. Denim has been a staple of the wardrobe since the time of the California gold rush, when the sturdy material was essential for the long days of sifting through water, looking for a glimpse of gold. Since then, denim has taken on a totally new face. It remains a classic yet is reincarnated into different shapes, cuts and silhouettes each season. It is amazing that a material so old remains so fresh.

This past season the It jean was the skinny jean. The sleek silhouette made it perfect to achieve the British/punk/supermodel look that remains an archetype of cool. Kate Moss wore skinny jeans to perfection, pulling the look off effortlessly. I personally loved this look because it flattered my petite frame, making me appear inches taller (especially with heals!) But I know this look is not for everyone, nor should it be.

Which is why this season the tide has turned the other way, as is the nature of fashion. What comes up must come down. And so this spring one of the main denim trends is the wide-leg jean. Not only does it flatter many different body types, but a wide leg pant exudes classic style reminiscent of Katherine Hepburn. Paired with a tucked-in blousy shirt and some sleek heels, the whole look would be very menswear-meets-sophisticated-woman.

So for all of you who squeezed into those skinny jeans or just winced at the sight of them, rejoice! Fashion has heard your call.


1 comment:

Becky C. said...

Denim does never go out of style--it just keeps going back and forth to various incarnations. And I always like it. My personal favorite are daisy duke shorts --since legs are my best feature:)I keep wearing them (weather permitting) even though they may show I am hopelessly out of style.

This is a good blog--glad I stumbled on it.

~Becky